Juice of 1 lime
1 Red Thai chilli – finely diced
2tbsp palm sugar
2tbsp fish sauce
6-10 Large Tiger Prawns – raw or cooked
1/3 Packet vermicelli rice noodles
1/3 cucumber – julienned
½ Carrot – julienned
½ medium shallot – Sliced
1 whole green chilli – Sliced
1/3 bunch of mint – picked
1/3 bunch of Thai basil – picked
1/3 bunch coriander – picked
1 Handful bean sprouts
Fried shallots – to serve
Nuoc Cham sauce
1. Combine the ingredients and mix well to dissolve the sugar. Taste and adjust extra seasoning accordingly. If it needs more saltiness – more fish sauce. More sourness – more lime etc.
- Soak the vermicelli rice noodles in boiling water for a few minutes. Cook time will depend on the thickness of your noodles so periodically check until cooked. Once cooked, strain run under cold water and set aside.
- Bring a pot of salty water to a boil. Boil the prawns for 4-6 minutes and once cooked, immediately put them into an ice bath to prevent further cooking. Once cool, peel and set aside.
- To construct the salad, simply combine the noodles with the other salad ingredients and gently toss together in a large bowl.
- Right before serving, dress the salad with the nuoc cham sauce and toss to coat evenly. Garnish with mint leaves and fried shallots.