Serves 2 | Prep time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes
For the video tutorial – check out our Instagram reel!
1 Jumbo Bay Lobster – prepped
1 Shallot – finely diced
50gm Salted Butter
1 Clove Garlic – grated
180ml White wine
1tsp Dashi Stock powder
1tsp Chicken Stock powder
20gm Plain Flour
80gms Smoked Cheddar
2tbsp Fresh Chives – Finely chopped
1tbsp Fresh Tarragon – Finely chopped
3tbsp Nori Flakes (Make your own by toasting nori sheets and crumbling by hand)
Chilli – We use Japanese chilli (shichimi togarashi)
- Preheat an oven grill to 190c
- Chop the jumbo Bay Lobster tail meat into medium sized chunks. Prep the shell for presentation.
- Melt the 50gm of butter in a small pot over a stove. Add the shallot and fry on a low heat until golden brown. Add the garlic, black pepper, white wine and stocks. Raise the heat back to medium and reduce slightly. Set aside.
- In another small pot over medium heat, melt the butter and add the flour. Fry the flour in the butter until the aroma turns slightly nutty – 30s – 1min. Add the milk in 3 stages and whisk vigorously between. Reduce the heat to low and keep whisking until the roux has a smooth consistency and has thickened. Incorporate the cheese and shallot butter and stir. You can adjust the consistency of the béchamel by adding more milk if need be or cooking and reducing to thicken. Add the chives, tarragon and a few pinches of nori flakes (reserving a little for garnish) and mix. Set aside.
- Cook the Bay Lobster meat in a non-stick pan over a medium heat until just done. Incorporate the meat into the béchamel and stir well.
- Place your lobster shell onto a baking tray and pour the béchamel into the shell then top with the remaining cheese, nori flakes, chives and tarragon.
- Put the lobster under the oven grill and watch carefully – take it out when its golden, caramelised and looks amazing!
- Top with fresh herbs and serve with toasted bread.
Shop products in this recipe:
View this post on Instagram