Serves 4 | Prep time: 20 Minutes | Cook Time: 30 Minutes
200gm Bomba rice
600ml Chicken Stock
2 Bay Lobster tails – peeled and halved
1 Blue swimmer crab – quartered
200gm calamari/octopus – chopped
1 large onion – finely diced
1 ripe tomato – diced
3 garlic cloves – minced
80gm green peas
pinch of saffron – soaked
1/2 cup white wine
Pinch of dry chilli flakes
Fresh lemon cheek to serve
Finely chopped parlsey to garnish
Specialised equipment – Paella pan
- In the paella pan, gently sauté the onion, tomato and garlic in the butter until partially caramelised.
- Add the rice and a glug of olive oil and stir to incorporate. Fry the rice for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Deglaze with the wine then incorporate the saffron, paprika and the chicken stock. Flatten the rice evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium and simmer. (Don’t stir)
- At the 10 minute mark, arrange the seafood and peas on top of the rice. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, then closely observe. Once the liquid has been absorbed, the rice at the bottom of the pan will begin to crust. Listen very closely for light crackling sounds. You can use a spoon to lightly peer down to the bottom of the pan to see if you’ve achieved the crust. If necessary, turn the heat up a little until the rice is a golden caramelised colour. Once ready, remove from the heat.
- Garnish with a lemon cheek and fresh parsley. Serve immediately.